1873 map of Pottstown and environs with “Union Meeting House” indicated on what is now Coventryville Road in South Coventry township.
The half-acre site originally was owned by George Chrisman, Ironmaster of Coventry Forge. It was purchased from Chrisman in 1834 for $15 by 5 church trustees: John Williams, John Thomas, George Brown, and William Hinson, all believed to be residents of what was then known as Coventry Township; and Joseph Smith, believed to be a resident of Montgomery County.
The church and graveyard have been unattended for decades. The site is largely overgrown, hidden in a small patch of woods off Coventryville Road. Several gravestones and parts of a building foundation remain.
One possible story about the site that FAUCSC will investigate is that the church congregation originally was comprised largely of free Africans, some of whom had been rescued from illegal slave-smuggling ships and relocated with families in the Pottstown area. Reports indicate that some congregation members walked the 7 or 8 miles from Pottstown on Sunday mornings to attend services at the Union Meeting House on “Chestnut Hill” near Coventryville Village.
FAUCSC Research Timeline is a research tool which was started in order to (1) compile historical data related to FAUCSC, (2) place FAUCSC related events in an historical context. This is an ongoing effort and we will update the information here as we gather more information.
FAUCSC Research Timeline (pdf format) October 2011
FAUCSC 1850 Census Research is a listing of African Americans who lived in South Coventry in 1850.
FAUCSC 1850 Census Research (pdf format) October 2011
Gravestone transcriptions as recorded by Ernest S. Chrisman in 1944